As 2021 is quickly coming to an end, there are only a few weeks remaining to use your Flex Spending Account (FSA) dollars on eligible heath care products and services at Tower Clock Eye Center. We get a lot of questions about which eye care-related expenses can be used with a FSA. Below is some... read more
The origin of Tower Clock Eye Center
- Posted on: Apr 7 2016
In clinic we often get asked, “How did Tower Clock Eye Center get its name?”
In 1989 Dr. Karl Schwiesow purchased the building at 1087 West Mason Street. The building’s northwest corner, which faces Mason Street, featured a rectangular, elevated parapet that was about 6 feet tall. This parapet displayed the name of the building’s previous tenant, NCR Corporation. When the lease for NCR expired at the end of 1993, the architect and contractor assumed that this parapet would be removed as the building underwent heavy remodeling.
However, driving across Tower Drive Bridge one night, Dr. Schwiesow had the idea not only to retain the original parapet, but also to add a second to the west side of the building, perpendicular to the original. Both parapets would feature a tower shape and a large clock on each side. Dr. Karl believed the unique building would be easier for patients to identify, and he decided the practice would then be named Tower Clock Eye Center.
We are also frequently asked, “Why Tower Clock Eye Center and not Clock Tower Eye Center?”
In naming the practice, Dr. Karl preferred to feature the timepiece in the tower (a tower clock) rather than the structure that holds the clock itself (a clock tower).
The clocks housed in the towers were made by the Verdin Clock Company of Cincinnati. This family-owned company came to the U.S. from France in 1842. Verdin Clock Company has created, preserved and restored clocks for some well-known buildings such as the Smithsonian Institute, Mayo Clinic, University of Notre Dame, and even Tower Clock Eye Center.